When it comes to selecting the song for your first dance, some couples find it to be a straightforward decision during wedding planning. Yet, for others, it can turn into a complex and time-consuming task.
If you’re facing difficulties in making your choice, here are a few questions you can ask yourself that should help you in narrowing down your choices.
Is there a “best” first dance song?
No, the perfect first dance song should hold personal significance for you, rather than aiming for worldwide appeal. Nonetheless, certain songs have become timeless options for first dances, and these can serve as sources of inspiration. We’ve compiled a list of these classics at the bottom of this blog post.
How soon should we finalise our song selection?
Your first dance as a married couple will attract all eyes, making it a significant moment. As a result, we’d recommended to decide on your song as early as possible. This will give you ample time to practise your dance routine, if you are planning one. If dancing isn’t your strong suit, you might consider hiring a choreographer to help you choreograph your steps and enhance your confidence on the big day.
How can we make our first dance unique?
Elevating your first dance involves showcasing what makes you and your partner unique. You could consider a medley of songs to reveal your personalities, or perhaps having your live band perform your chosen song as you dance. Regardless of your preferences, as long as it resonates with your relationship, it will undoubtedly be special.
Is a slow tempo necessary for a first dance?
Not necessarily. If you share a special connection with an upbeat track and wish to set a lively tone for the evening, go for it! Alternatively, you might opt for a slower tempo to create a more romantic ambience between you and your new spouse. The choice is entirely yours.
What are some of the top song options for first dances?
- Perfect - Ed Sheeran
- At Last – Etta James
- All Of Me – John Legend
- Thinking Out Loud – Ed Sheeran
- Amazed – Lonestar
- Can’t Help Falling In Love – Elvis Presley
- Your Song – Elton John
- How Long Will I Love You – Ellie Goulding
- Something – The Beatles
- Let’s Stay Together – Al Green
- I Don’t Want To Miss A Thing – Aerosmith
- The Luckiest – Ben Folds
- Wherever You Will Go – Charlene Soraia
- A Thousand Years – Christina Perri
- Stand By Me – Ben E. King
- Iris – The Goo Goo Dolls
- I’m Yours – Jason Mraz
- Wonderful Tonight – Eric Clapton
- Truly Madly Deeply – Savage Garden
- This Will Be (An Everlasting Love) – Natalie Cole
- I’m Kissing You – Des’ree
- Run – Leona Lewis
- You Make It Real – James Morrison
- (Everything I Do) I Do It For You – Bryan Adams
- Love You ‘Till the End – The Pogues
- You’re Still the One – Shania Twain
- From This Moment On – Shania Twain & Bryan White
- Grow Old With You – Adam Sandler
- Just the Way You Are – Bruno Mars
- Make You Feel My Love – Adele